A New Parka

Who is that musher in black?

While in Nome this past week, one of our friends and sponsors, Jim Harrison - owner of Northern Outfitters - came out for a visit. He was in Alaska talking to various clients about his arctic gear.

Last year, Jim came to visit us in Two Rivers. He had seen a television show on the History Channel about winter gear. I had a spot in the show and I detailed how I layered my clothing in order to stay warm. In his system, the layering is limited - it is basically one spongy insulating layer with a outer shell - so, he was disgusted to see my extensive layers. During his visit he asked me to just try it his way.

I will admit, I am slow to change. Finally, during a 200 mile race in December last season, when the temperatures were extreme (50 below, at least), I tried 50% of the gear that he sent me. I tried the bottoms, but I kept my traditional top layers in tact. After I finished 150 miles of the race, I went in to a cabin to hang up my gear. My top parka was drenched. It must have weighed an additional 5 pounds! My bottom half was dry and warm! From then on, it wasn't a difficult decision.

So, during the following race, the Copper Basin 300, I wore all Northern Outfitters gear. The only problem was that it was all black. I always wear red. No one recognized me ... even Allen! So, after that race, in early February, I called Jim with my problem. He said he could fix it.

But since we all know, things are always more difficult then they appear - the red parka took some time to be produced. I raced the Iditarod in my black gear and even wore a red anorak over the inner lining in checkpoints so that people could recognize me. But NOT ANYMORE! Check this out:
I know that you recognize her!

Labels: