A Letter from SP Kennel

August 31, 2009

I owe you all a short note.

I have tried to keep the SP Kennel Dog Log updated regularly throughout the summer. I know that some of you check it regularly and I hope that you have found it interesting. For the rest of you, who, during these past few delightfully balmy summer months, haven't had the slightest thought about sled dogs, freezing temperatures or mushing across the snowy tundra ... welcome back!

September 1st is the beginning of it all at SP Kennel. Autumn is here and the dogs and mushers are ready to roll. Training commences early in the morning and will not let up until every last dog is harnessed and run. We have a lot of work ahead of us, so why not start with a bang!

I plan to keep you updated with a new series of posts on the website called: "To Do's". September is a month of action, so let's get it done. It is the final month before the snow flies and the ground freezes. Not only do I scurry around putting away gear (so that the snow doesn't hide it for 7 months) but, I also hope to accomplish a few things. My plan is to: build new dog houses, arrange the fed shed, fix dogs pens, gravel the dog yard, fix up the sleds, put on new name plates, arrange the training log book... I could go on and on. Anyhow, I will document my struggle with this and hopefully I can publicly "check off the list".

As well, one of my main goals is, as always, to educate people properly about the on goings of a professional sled dog kennel. A day or two ago, I was pondering what exactly to share with interested folks. When I have kennel visitors, it often surprises me at what intrigues them. Perhaps this is because I live and breathe it every day, so “normal things” do not strike me as something to write about.

So, I am hoping that some of you will speak up and let me know what really interests you regarding the kennel and dogs. Please e-mail me a question at aliyz@naturalextremes.com. I plan to answer these questions on this website - if you thought it was interesting, someone else might too. This way, we will add a fresh mind to the mix.


September is just the beginning! We are excited, to say the least. The dog mushing season lays ahead with new trails and new tails. I have to introduce the youngsters to you as well as share some stories from the past. We have an entertaining season ahead and I hope that you will be a part of it.

Stay in touch!

Aliy

Labels: ,